1 Mar 2012

3 Bands You Should Check Out On SXSW!

Wow - there are so many things I want to blog about these days that I don't know where to start! I've spent a lot of my time lately researching all sorts of weird and exciting stuff relating to the upcoming trip to SXSW in Austin, Texas. In case you haven't heard... Me and Therese are going to the superhuge South By South West (SXSW) Music Festival to spread the word about Dreamcatcher, upandcoming music, and to network to the best of our abilities! :D We head out on Mon 12th of March, and there's tons of stuff to prepare before departure! I'll make sure to throw out a few blogs about it this past week and a half before we leave just in case you: A: Want to feel jealous of all the cool stuff we're gonna do. B: Are nosy and want to know what we're up to. Or C: Are going to SXSW yourself, and want to meet up or know what we think are cool things to do while there.

Speaking of option C... I want to tell you about a few bands and artists that I've kept an eye on for a while and that you shouldn't miss when you're in Texas!


THE DUNWELLS (www.thedunwells.com)

These five great lads from Leeds, UK are on the verge of their BIG breakthrough right now! Touring all over USA at the moment, their gigs are PACKED with fans and an astonishingly large percentage of heavy industry people. And the acclaims are superb - as The Dunwells rightly deserve!! I've been enthusiastically following, supporting them and loving their music for a couple of years, and have had the pleasure of seeing them live on a number of occasions. They just keep getting better and better, and I highly recommend that you check them out on one of their SXSW-shows (full listing on their webpage) - I know I won't be able to stay away!!

The genre is hard to pinpoint. They bare resemblance to the folky Mumford And Sons - but are more rock'y and upbeat - and their five-part harmonies and expert musicianship blow all competition out of the ballpark! Check them out and judge for yourself:
The Dunwells - I Could Be A King





ILONA (soundcloud.com/ilona-t)

The next artist I recommend you check out is from Bulgaria. Her name is Ilona and has a strong voice and sassy sound that reminds me of Shania Twain! Although quite fresh to the music scene, she's sparked much attention for her work so far, and I'm gonna make sure to catch her performance at Creekside (Hilton Garden Inn) at 11pm on Wed, March 14th! Hope to see you there too :)
Ilona





ANTONIO LULIC (www.antoniolulic.com)

This guy is also one to check out! His deep, husky vocals combined with intimate lyrics gives the audience a powerful experience of rootsy, passionate and soulful music. I've seen him play a couple of times before, and I've loved every second of it! Therese, however, has never seen him play before, so that will be my excuse to go see him again when in Austin. You should meet us there! And then we can sing along to this one together:
Antonio Lulic - Hey It's Ok









No comments:

Post a Comment